Motorists who are not prepared for winter can experience severe financial and health-related consequences. If you are going to have to use a car during cold or inclement weather conditions, make sure that you have the following available to you:
- Ice scraper—It’s quite common for a car’s windscreen and windows to freeze over. Not being able to properly de-ice your car will not only make driving extremely dangerous, but it may also result in you getting three points on your licence and a £100 fine.
- Shovel—It’s not always enough to have a shovel at home to initially dig out your car before a trip. Your car may get buried in deep snow while you are away or you could even become stuck on smaller, untreated roads.
- Proper clothing—In the event that your vehicle breaks down or you get stuck, it’s important to be dressed for the conditions. Don’t rely on your vehicle’s heating system to keep you from developing frostbite or hypothermia. It’s also a good idea to have a high-visibility jacket or waistcoat to ensure that motorists can see you if you are forced to leave your vehicle.
- Torch—Due to how short the days are during winter, it’s more likely that you may have to deal with dark conditions. If you break down on the side of the road, it’s essential to have a source of light as you attempt to find help or make repairs. Make sure to have spare batteries available as well.
- Mobile phone power—In addition to ensuring that your mobile phone is fully charged before you start your trip, it’s also a good idea to have an additional power pack or a charger compatible with your vehicle.
- Road atlas—In the event that your mobile phone loses power or you cannot get a good signal, it’s imperative that you have another means of staying on your route.
- Jump-start cables—If your car’s battery dies, you may need to be able to get it moving again yourself. Having your own set of jump-start cables or jump leads available at all times will make it easier to get help from a fellow motorist.
Contact our personal lines motor insurance teams today to switch or renew your car insurance.